The primary objective of the SAFIRE project is to develop cloud-based analytics and reconfiguration capabilities that provide:
- Both reactive and predictive reconfiguration for both production systems and smart products
- Flexible run-time reconfiguration decisions during production rather than pre-planned at production planning time
- Real-time reconfiguration decisions for optimisation of performance and real-time production and product functions
The SAFIRE project targets two related technology challenges for smart factories that present new opportunities for improving production, products and services:
- Interconnected Systems of Production Systems (SoPS) within smart manufacturing environments where individual production systems and the SoPS as a whole have hardware and software requirements to be addressed to achieve specific business objectives such as scheduling, power consumption, throughput, and maintenance.
- Connected Product Networks (CPNs) where networked smart products collect data, can be adapted in the field, and can deliver extended services to customers through optimisation of smart product performance parameters and customisation of products to environments, usage patterns and other dynamic factors.
The advanced analytics and reconfiguration capabilities to be developed in SAFIRE will be based on mastering the big data challenges associated with manufacturing (sensor and process data), enterprise data and smart product data to provide advanced analytics that allow manufacturers to address production system behaviour forecasting and to establish optimisation methods that are integrated in the design and product chain. The project will deliver big data analytic capabilities that meet real-time requirements so that dynamic run-time reconfiguration decisions are made during production time rather than pre-planned at production planning time.
The project will allow both SoPS clients with limited resources to leverage the smart services running in the cloud to perform complex optimisation algorithms on their behalf to maintain and improve performance of the SoPS within a dynamic smart factory production environment, as well as data from CPNs to be analysed using cloud resources, to drive production optimisation decisions. By performing reconfiguration in the cloud, continuous optimisation of the system can be achieved, which enables far better reconfiguration control and accuracy than if performed in either a pre-planned or online manner.
The technologies and innovations that will be developed in the SAFIRE project include the following:
- New methodology for reconfiguration and optimisation of factories and products based on predictive big data analytics of data generated by exploiting situational awareness during production and product use.
- A set of tools and services to support:
- Dynamic and predictable reconfiguration and optimisation
- Predictive big data analytics
- Cloud resource management
- New cloud based secure infrastructure for reconfiguration and optimisation
The envisaged SAFIRE infrastructure is targeted to be provided as an add-on for an existing production system or next generation smart factory operating system, allowing production systems to be transformed to include capabilities for dynamic real-time reconfiguration and optimisation. As a key element of the new environment will be the SAFIRE ontology, the project will also contribute to standardisation aspects.
In order to assure that the methods and tools to be developed meet the needs of European manufacturers, the project will be driven by three industrial business cases within globally distributed enterprises, that are partners in the consortium, who will validate the technologies in multiple manufacturing and product scenarios.
More technical details are available under the Publications tab where public reports from the project are made available for download.